The Digital Content Team
Our team focuses on improving the understanding and engagement with ONS analysis.
We offer a range of services in data visualisation, journalism, graphic design, content design and social media.
We can help you select the most engaging format for presentation and structure the content to be suitable for all types of audiences, especially those from a non-statistical background, by communicating clearly the strengths and limitations of the data in an accessible, digestible way.
You can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will set up a consultation to see how we can best support you.
Our services are broadly:
Improve: Making analysis more understandable and interesting for any user
- Presentational support and advice, including data vis consultation, style and format expertise from content design and editorial support from a journalist
- We can either review your content or write it in partnership with you depending on user need
- Advice on which publication format could best suit the analysis (standard article, digital content article, bulletin)
- Summarising content clearly, for example, in the Insights tool or Economy roundup
- Adding value to planned publications with additional content, for example we may write an article to run alongside a regular bulletin or suggest extra/different charts, and create accompanying social media.
Read more about the Improve offer for business areas. You will need to be on the ONS network to access this link
Alongside producing content for social platforms the social media team also support the tweeting statistician network. Different formats could be a single post, thread, moment or carousel like below.
We design content for a range of digital platforms. This could include (but not limited to) graphics and animations for social media channels, development of designs for bespoke interactive website products, distilling complex information into understandable diagrams and flowcharts and contributing to the ONS design system.
Collaborate: Prioritising projects to create citizen-focused content
- Working with analytical areas on ideas for analysis that will engage a citizen audience and build trust in ONS
- Partnering with analytical teams to produce this content
- Helping shape ideas aimed at a citizen audience so they can be most impactful and effective
- Horizon scanning for issues of social and public concern
Innovate: Inventing new products to help engagement and understanding
These may include elements of:
- Scrollytelling articles, robo-journalism (or semi-automated journalism), mapping tools such as ‘Census Atlas’. Other product development.
- Offering a richer experience for the user, involving personalisation, localisation and customisability as well as edu-tainment formats
- Meets the GSS strategy aim of improving the clarity and coherence of communication for maximum impact
Our sister team is Publishing, which handles website publication, organisation, and essential publishing operations.
Some projects will fall across more than one team. We will ensure that the people best suited to your content are working on it.
Some formats require a different partnership and publication process. See our guidance on creating a digital content article and making a scrollytelling interactive article.
We can also provide support and guidance on style and word count for statistical bulletins and standard analytical articles.